Thursday, December 27, 2007

Barrelling into 2008

Hurrah! I love the rapid approach of the new year. I don't make resolutions or anything, but the reality of having made it through another calendar year in one piece is always slightly momentous to me. I think anyone who had a long run of crap years may feel the same. What's that Robyn Hitchcock lyric? It's been a long hard decade? So far the noughties and I are getting on just fine. The 90's...blech.

Someone recently asked me about my choice of name for this blog. It should be said it is not is reference to me, not being particularly unorthodox or successful for that matter (I am assuming no one needs an explanation of the l'enfant terrible concept!). It is more in reference to the growing momentum of craft and a new appreciation of the handmade. To me, the fact that so many people are picking up needles of all sorts, hammers, clay, not to mention spades, brushes, and even cookbooks; well, something is afoot. Ideally I would like this blog to be more about that than myself and my projects. I am still getting my feet wet with the blogging thing and it's easiest to blather on about myself. I also need to make critical decisions like: do I stay in only the realm of my main craft interests (textiles and fibre), or do I consider the others which I love but don't actually make, such as woodwork and ceramics. And really, does it matter?

I am gearing up for a stay at Tardwarncoort. I am itching to get into that wool shed. I usually buy fleece and fibre but have read impressive reviews of the Wendy Dennis yarns so I think I will finally bite the money bullet and buy some. I've got me some big plans for that fibre, which hopefully will end up on Esty in the next year. Isaac is rapidly going toddler, which means less time for making things during the day due to endless games of "Throw Myself off the Arm of the Couch", his latest toddly thrill.

Spin spin spinning away to get the yarn done for the South Cape for the Yarn KAL.

No comments: