Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Cup Overfloweth

There is no lack of things to do.

I think I may have joined too many knitalongs, but this is the year of upping the ante with my knitting skills AND the getting-things-done skills, the latter being of primary importance. I guess I could try and sell UFO's as concept art. I could score a show at Craft Victoria.

Speaking of Craft Victoria, there's a show up now of dolls representing Aussie musicians. The catch is they all have big wangs made to look like snakes or dragons. I intend to go see it. It sounds quite funny. Curious to see how well they are made. I went to one show where the work was needlepoint on that plastic stuff-I forget what it's called but it's used a lot for Xmas ornaments..plastic canvas? Anyhoo, it looked s*(&. The needle point was all well and good, even stitches and all that, but the pieces appeared to be tacked onto the wall, and some were curving up on themselves...bah. You could clearly see the plastic canvas which is a hideous beast by nature in my opinion. Use it, fine, but don't make me look at it. What made it worse was in the next gallery, there was the most exquisite wood furniture. If I had 10k there was a liquor cabinet that would have been mine.

Let it be said I doubt I'll ever be hip enough for CV, but I do intend to renew my professional membership. I think it's a great outfit, and the folks there are really nice. However, I saw the curator (maybe the director?) once at a seminar and she scared me. She looked like the type of person who could critique you within an inch of your life. Being an art school survivor, there is still a small, much more hiply dressed part of me cowering in the dark corners of my soul, rocking back and forth repeating " I don't KNOW how this fits into the post modern paradigm."

Baby done woked up. I better go get him.

No comments: