Monday, March 3, 2008

We are the Goon Squad

I bought the North American Spring issue of Vogue yesterday. I used to buy the massive Spring and Fall issues each year, just to get a dose of what is au courant, especially in colours.

I do love clothes, and enjoy looking at the high end stuff in photos. I once went to look at the high end stuff in person and felt intimidated. I don't like to go into shops if I can't buy, but there was this one Hermes leather coat that begged a closer look...but I digress.

I haven't bought Vogue for years, and I remember why. Yes, there are lots of pretty clothes and crafty inspirations, but Lord Almighty, the little style snippets about the immensely privileged with their own "small PR firms", or their "art" are just revolting. As was the wedding of some gal to some guy whose parents had heaps of dough made through beverages. Her dress cost $200, 000. I mean, seriously. We're supposed to be impressed? Or that Julian Schnabel's gorgeous wife makes pajamas with the attitude of someone saving sick babies and their puppies? I do hope it's the spin that Vogue put on it and that Mme. Schnable doesn't really think she's providing a valuable service designing a pajama top that can also be worn as a shirt.

I don't have issues with the rich. Heck, if I'm lucky they'll buy some of my things should I ever actually produce them. I just hate that society shit.

There is a profile about a young painter however which will probably make me jealous. I think I like her stuff too, which will make it hard to rant.

Being a News Hour addict, I was pleased to see there is a piece about Gwen Iffl. Maybe I can start buying Vogue for the articles.

Has a glorious morning washing pieces of vintage textiles, lace and material, bits of tatting and crochet. I've been washing up largish amounts of old bits to start incorporating into sachets, cushion covers, and wearable things. I am hoping that having everything clean and organized will make the work so much easier. I'll take pictures, as crafty types love pictures, but that must come later.

Everything is going along swimmingly. Gessoed a canvas. Almost finished my South Cape. Got a good idea for my bag for the Aussie Knitter bag swap so it won't be so boring. Almost finished with a skirt. The baby remains well fed and clean. What more could I want? Brilliant.

From The Book of Hints and Wrinkles:
Many of the more modern houses and flats have kitchens too small for even the swinging of a kitten, but some have more accommodation, and in old-fashioned and converted houses it is often helpful to use the kitchen as a dining room.

No comments: